Even for specialized professionals, reviewing their own work from the perspective of an editor can be difficult, but there are ways to make the process go more smoothly. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Reading anything unrelated to your own work will take your mind off the issue and allow you to see things from a different viewpoint when you return to it.
- When it is time to evaluate your own work, check whether switching fonts will help you see it with new eyes. Reading your own work on your smartphone, laptop, desktop, or printed page may allow you to notice new things in each scenario.
- The bustle of a café may sometimes be precisely what you need to see your work in a fresh light. At other times, the serenity of a park seat is preferable. Changing your physical location might provide you with the editorial distance you need to examine your work in a new light.
- Music may help you refresh and perceive your job with a beginner’s perspective again by activating your brain in a different way.
- Reading your writing aloud will help you opens your eyes to new possibilities, and having a buddy read it may be as enlightening. You never know what words or phrases your reader may stress, or how their recitation can let you see aspects of your work that you had not seen before.
Get professional editing service
Our editing services are for authors who seek high-quality book editing at a low cost. We’ve worked out special pricing with a select group of editors from across the world. Your work will be edited by seasoned, professional editors who have worked with bestselling writers across a wide range of genres. You’ll get a completely revised text, as well as any extra editor comments and suggestions.